Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rest

Greetings!!!

Spring is bursting forth in its glorious array! The landscape is dressed in brilliant colors of red and pink, orange and yellow, purple and pink, white and green. Oh! There are so many shades of green! There is one thing that stuck me as I looked about this year. There are many trees that have not yet shed winter. Look around. Do you see trees that look dead? They are not dead, but are resting. Rest is important not only physically, but also mentally and spiritually.

I looked up rest in the little concordance in the back of my Bible and found thirty references. I will only list a few here. It is interesting.

Exodus 31:15 'For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the LORD; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death.'

Exodus 33:14 And He said, "My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest."

Psalm 116:7 "Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you."

Jeremiah 6:16 This is what the LORD says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where  the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls."

Is it time for you to take time to rest? Resting so contrary to our culture. Resting is perceived as lazy and unproductive, but rest is a good thing. It is a God-given gift, but you must choose to make the time for rest. Are you feeling like you just cannot not keep on? Jesus said, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and YOU SHALL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS." Is your life looking less than its best? Take time to rest and get quiet before the Lord. He is waiting for you to come.

The LORD bless you with His rest.

I love you,
Ruth

No comments: