Friday, February 22, 2008

Restless Night

Greetings!!!
Have you had restless nights? Could it be because you ate something you should not have? Perhaps when you went to bed you were not sleepy. Or maybe your body was wracked with pain keeping you from being able to get comfortable. Whatever it was you were unable to fall into a deep sleep that brings rest and healing to your body. 

Rather than spending the night fretting, try spending the time in God's word. It seems like David may have done this in Psalm 63.
O GOD, Thou are my God; I shall seek Thee earnestly;
My soul thirsts for Thee, my flesh yearns for Thee,
In a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Thus I have beheld Thee in the sanctuary,
To see Thy power and Thy glory.
Because of Thy lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips will praise Thee.
So I will bless Thee as long as I live;
I will lift up my hands in Thy name.
My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness,
And my mouth offers praises with joyful lips.

When I remember Thee on my bed,
I meditate on Thee in the night watches.
For Thou hast been my help,
And in the shadow of Thy wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to Thee;
Thy right hand upholds me.

But those who seek my life, to destroy it,
Will go into the depths of the earth.
They will be delivered over to the power of the sword;
They will be a prey for foxes.
But the king (put your name here) will rejoice in God;
Everyone who swears by Him will glory,
For the mouth of those who speak lies will be stopped. 

It is a difficult thing when your mind, body or spirit will not stop,causing you to have a restless night; but you can turn it around and allow it to be used for your good and for the glory of your King. Instead of fretting, pray. If you still cannot sleep, get up. Get your Bible and read. Ask the Father to speak to you through His Word. But do not lie there on your bed and listen to the devil's lies that cause worry and condemnation. Use the time to make a difference for eternity.

The LORD bless you with an awareness of His presence with you and His love for you in your restless nights and even when those nights last into the day.

I love you,
Ruth 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that you have "gone public"!
Press on Ruth, especially when it feels that you are working in your own strength.

Anonymous said...

You're a great mom (and devotion-writer)