Thursday, December 4, 2008

No Place to Hide

Greetings!!!

Have you seen the breathtaking beauty of sunrises and sunsets lately? If you have not, you really need to take the time and go somewhere so you can sit and watch a remarkable masterpiece unfold. I have been told that the Chaiten Volcano in Chile, the Dalaffilla Volcano in Ethiopia, the Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii, as well as many others, are responsible for spewing dust, ash, smoke and gases miles into the air resulting in our spectacular and vibrant morning and evening displays. Isn't it amazing that something so far away can have such an effect here?

As I thought of those volcanoes blanketing the earth's atmosphere with dust and ash, Psalm 139:1-12 came to mind.

O LORD, Thou hast searched me and known me. 
Thou dost understand my thoughts from afar. 
Thou dost scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And art intimately acquainted with all my ways. 
Even before there is a word on my tongue, 
Behold, O LORD, Thou dost know it all. 
Thou hast enclosed me behind and before,  
And laid Thy hand upon me. 
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me. 
It is too high, I cannot attain to it.

Where can I go from Thy Spirit? 
Or where can I flee from Thy presence: 
If I ascend to heaven, Thou are there; 
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, Thou art there. 
If I take the wings of the dawn, 
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, 
Even there Thy hand will lead me, 
And Thy right hand will lay hold of me. 
If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, 
And the light around me will be night," 
Even the darkness is not dark to Thee,
And the night is as bright as the day. 
Darkness and light are alike to Thee. 

Maybe you feel like God is as far away as those volcanoes, maybe even farther. Perhaps you feel that He is unaware of the details of your life, or that if He is aware, He surely does not care? Let me reassure you that as surely as the earth cannot get away from the dust and ash of those volcanoes, you cannot get away from the ever loving arms of God, and He is not far from you. He loves you. He has you in His hands, and you are safe. Rest child of God. Rest.

The LORD bless you with allowing yourself to rest in His arms and allowing Him to comfort you.

I love you,
Ruth

No comments: