Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Gifts

Greetings!!!
How many times did you hear, "What do you want for Christmas?" I must have driven my family crazy with my consistent answer of, "Nothing." I simply could not think of anything I really needed or wanted. After much thought, I decided that the thing I wanted most in all the world was to know that the most important people in my life (that would include you) would be with me when I stand with Jesus in heaven for all eternity. I can almost hear you say, "How self righteous!! What makes you think YOU will be in heaven?" or "Well!! If you are going to heaven, I certainly will make it."
But really, I do know that I will be in heaven when I die or Jesus returns.

Take a look at the reason the Apostle John wrote his gospel. John 20:30-31 "Many other signs therefore Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that by believing you may have life in His name."

Now, take a look at 1 John 5:1-12: "Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God; and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith. And who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? This is the one who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only, but with the water and with the blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three that bear witness, the Spirit, and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater; for the witness of God is this, that He has borne witness concerning His Son. The one who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the witness that God has borne concerning His Son. And the witness is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life."

The believing that the Apostle John is talking about is more than just an intellectual belief. You see James tells us that "demons also believe, and shudder." Trust me, there will be no demons in heaven. The believing here is being willing to open your heart and receive all that God has for you by faith. John 1:12 states "But as many as received Him, (Jesus)to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name."

Were you given gifts for Christmas? Did you receive them and open them, or did you put them away unopened, or did you just outright refused them? I am sure that if you were given a gift, you received it, opened it and took it as your own to your own delight as well as the delight of the giver. Well, God has given you a gift--His one and only Son. Will you receive His gift and my greatest desire for you--eternal life through Jesus Christ God's Son? Do not leave this as a gift unopened.

The LORD bless you with receiving the true gift of Christmas.

I love you,
Ruth

No comments: