Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Run the Race!

Greetings!!!
Are you a runner? Do you like to watch track and field events in the Summer Olympics? Walking and running is something that almost anyone can do. One thing about a runner is that he has to fix his gaze on what is ahead of him. If a runner looks back, it not only hinders his forward motion, but it can also stop his race. 

One place where Paul gives advise on running well is in Philippians 3:10-14: "that I my know Him, and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained it, or have already become perfect, but I press on in order that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

You may never be an Olympic runner, but if you are a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, you are in a race. Does that surprise you? Your race is not a 100m dash. It is not a 400m, 800m run. You are not even a miler or a cross country runner. This race is not a 26.2  mile marathon. No, this race you are running is much longer. It takes stamina, endurance, and determination to make it to the finish line. The finish line, my friend, is when die, or when Jesus returns to usher you to heaven. Have you put on your running shoes? The best way to do that is to open your Bible. On your mark. Get set. Run! Run well, my friend. Run well, and do not look back!!

The LORD bless you with finishing your race well, and bringing glory to Him.

I love you,
Ruth

No comments: