Thursday, October 2, 2008

Surprised By a Rainbow!

Greetings!!!

Do you ever look for rainbows? For as long as I can remember, when I would see the sun come out while it was raining, I would expect to see and look for a rainbow. It was delight when I would see one and a disappointment when there was none. So imagine my surprise and delight on this bright and beautiful morning as I turned the corner on my running route and looked up to the sky and saw an enormous, brilliant rainbow against the dark clouds, but there was no rain!! For the entire fifteen minutes it took to get home from there, that rainbow was suspended on the clouds.

Why do we have rainbows? Oh, I could give you the scientific explanation of refraction and dispersion, etcetera, and so on, but what is it really? The beginning is found in Genesis 9:8-15 Then God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying, "Now behold, I Myself do establish My covenant with you, and with your descendants after you; and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you; of all that comes out of the ark, even every beast of the earth. And I establish My covenant with you; and all flesh shall never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth." And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all successive generations; I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth, And it shall come about, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow will be seen in the cloud, and I will remember My covenant, which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and never again shall the water become a flood to destroy all flesh." A rainbow in the clouds is one of God's ways of remembering you and me!!!

But look again... Revelation 4:2-3 The apostle John is speaking. "Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne was standing in heaven, an One sitting on the throne. And He who was sitting was like a jasper stone and a sardius in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, like an emerald in appearance." Hmmm. Why would God have a rainbow encircling His throne? Could it be so that whichever direction He faces, He sees the rainbow and remembers you and me? 

The LORD bless you with remembering God's great love and desire for you.

I love you,
Ruth

No comments: