Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Reunion

Greetings!!!

Have you ever been to a funeral? Have you ever been to a reunion? On November 1, 2008, I went to the funeral of a very special lady-           Mary Simmons. Since we have been attending a church that is closer to our community, arriving for the viewing was much like a reunion for me. I saw so many precious friends that I have not seen in a long time. I said to several people that being at a funeral should not be such a blessing, to which one person responded, "That is the way Mary would have wanted it." When the service started, Pastor Bellis announced that Mary wanted this service to be a celebration. We were to rejoice in her going home to be with "her Jesus".

As I thought about feeling like I was at a reunion and a celebration, I got an image of this picture from heaven's side. There will be a reunion! There are two Scriptures came to mind that make me believe this. First is Luke 16:19-22. Jesus is telling a parable to the people. "Now there was a certain rich man, and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, gaily living in splendor every day. And a certain poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered in sores, and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man's table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores. Now it came about that the poor man died and he was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man died and was buried also." 

The other Scripture is in Luke 23:40-43 where Jesus is on the cross between two thieves. One of the thieves, along with much of the crowd, is hurling insults at Jesus. The other thief responds, "Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!" An He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

In the footnote of my Study Bible it says, "The Talmud mentions both Abraham's bosom and Paradise as the home of the righteous. Its bliss is the quality of blessedness reserved for people like Abraham." Also, that "paradise refers to a place of bliss and rest between death and resurrection." Whatever or wherever that place is, those who die in Christ will be there together with Jesus until the day He returns to earth. When I think of some of the people I know who are waiting there, I know there is a big celebration going on, and I am waiting, with great anticipation, to join them there. 

The LORD bless you with being ready for that great and glorious reunion!

I love you,
Ruth

No comments: