Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tough Road

Greetings!!!

Do you have snow this morning? Instead of the rain that was predicted here, we got snow last night-enough that it made the going very difficult on my morning walk. At first I was slipping and sliding all over the place making me aware of the fact that I needed to be careful because there were many treacherous places. Some were quite obvious so I slowed down and used extra caution. But several times, when I came to a stretch that seemed safer, because the sun was melting the ice, I got more confident and walked with a quicker step. On one such occasion, I hit black ice. After being held up by the hand of God - it certainly was not my own ability, I should have fallen - I looked back. There was no evidence of any ice on the road, but it was icy.

As I thought about that situation, it reminded me that life is like that. So often you are going along with not a care in the world. Then, suddenly, it is like the rug has been pulled out from under you. Is there no safe guard? You can find it in Psalm 119:105-112
Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.
I have sworn, and I will confirm it,
That I will keep Thy righteous ordinances.
I am exceedingly afflicted; 
Revive me, O LORD, according to Thy word.
O accept the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD,
And teach me Thine ordinances.
My life is continually in my hand,
Yet I do not forget Thy law.
The wicked have laid a snare for me,
Yet I have not gone astray from Thy precepts.
I have inherited Thy testimonies forever,
For they are the joy of my heart.
I have inclined my heart to perform Thy statutes
Forever, even to the end.

Whether you are confident in your walk or feel you are on shaky ground, there is only one safe guard. That is the Word of God. Are you using it as the light for your path and the lamp for your feet, or are you content to make your own way? If you are going your own way, I must warn you, be careful of the black ice that is just waiting for you. It looks all right. It looks safe. But in the end you could be struggling for all you are worth not to go down, and go down hard. When was the last time you sought the Word of God for direction in your life? Maybe it time to start today.

The LORD bless you with recognizing His light in your life.

I love you,
Ruth

No comments: