Thursday, April 29, 2010

Run the Race


Greetings!!!
Do you enjoy athletic competitions? Perhaps you prefer to watch instead of compete. As a track and field official, much of my time this year has been spent being an umpire on the turns at the track. Part of my job is to make sure the runners run their races fairly and safely. It has been fun to watch the strength and speed of the faster runners, as well as the determination to finish by those who are not as fast.

Did you know that Paul compares your journey through this life to an athlete who must compete well for the King? In 1 Corinthians 9:24-10:6 Paul says, "Do you not know that those in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. And everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I buffet my body and make it my slave, lest possibly, after I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; and all ate the same spiritual food; and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness. Now these things happened as examples for us, that we should not crave evil things, as they also craved."

Have you chosen to live your life for the King and enter the race to glorify Him? I will be honest with you. It will not be easy. This journey will be hard work. There may be times when you may feel like it is too hard. At those times, you need to ask someone to come along side you and help you to keep going. If you do not enter the race and stay the course, you will never fulfill God's plans and purposes for your life. Enter the race! Whether you fly like the wind or plod along at a slow steady speed, I encourage you join me in this race. Run and be there with me at the finish line.

The LORD bless you with choosing to enter this race for the King and with having the endurance to run into eternity to be with Him.

I love you,
Ruth


No comments: